If my deceased godmother willed to me some property,can I make a claim on her unclaimed funds in another state?

UPDATED: Aug 3, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 3, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my deceased godmother willed to me some property,can I make a claim on her unclaimed funds in another state?

I inherited some property in NY from my deceased godmother through her Will. Can I make a claim on other unclaimed property of hers in LA?

Asked on August 3, 2019 under Estate Planning, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot. A will only has power over effect over the specific assets, funds, or properties bequethed by it: it has no effect over anything not named in it. Furthermore, being named in a will only gives you a right to inherit those specific things left you--you have no rights over anything else owned by the deceased, so even this other property is mentioned in the will, if it not left to you by the will, you have no right to it. And being a godchild does not give you any inheritance rights over anything not specifically willed to you (unlike being a biological or adopted child, which does give you inheritance rights).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption