My deceased father had money in my sister’s home…name on title. She’s leasing it now..I’m getting that right?

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My deceased father had money in my sister’s home…name on title. She’s leasing it now..I’m getting that right?

Asked on June 15, 2009 under Estate Planning, Tennessee


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I'm unclear as to your situation.

1.  You state that your father "had money in my sister's home", does that mean he gave her the down payment or was there physically cash in the house?

2.  You say she is "leasing" it now, so whose name is the condo in?  I assume that this means that the condo was in your father's name since your sister wouldn't be leasing from herself.  However, if it is in both of their names, did they own as "joint tenants"?

3.  You say that you are getting nothing, does this mean that there was no will?

If you could answer these question for me, that would be helpful in formulating an answer.

Thank you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption