If my daughter’s father is starting job going over-seas and getting paid non-taxable wages, will I still be able to collect child support?

UPDATED: Oct 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 25, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my daughter’s father is starting job going over-seas and getting paid non-taxable wages, will I still be able to collect child support?

It is with a different company than he is currently working for and has not updated or given me the new info?

Asked on October 25, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The Texas family code defines income fairly broadly-- and generally includes income from any source.  Regardless of whether it is taxable or not, any income can be including in the calculation of income for child support purposes. 

Your main issue, though, will be the actual collection of child support if the company is based oversees.  If the company is a U.S. company or a company that has a U.S. "home base," you can usually get them to accept an order withholding to garnish his wages.  If the new company is based and housed oversees, you'll need to get a family law attorney that is proficient in international law to get enforcement oversees-- not all countries recognize U.S. judgments or orders. 

If you are not sure where is is located or what his current income is, and he is required per your decree to update you on his residency status, then you can file a motion to compell or enforce with the same court that issued the original order.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption