If my daughter’s dad passed without a Will, does she have any rights to his estate?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my daughter’s dad passed without a Will, does she have any rights to his estate?

She was told in a round about way she wasn’t receiving anything. He had (has) a large estate. He was a contract attorney and it’s hard to believe there is no Trust but it’s possible.

Asked on August 1, 2014 under Estate Planning, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Since your daughter's dad died without a will, the rules of intestate succession determine inheritance.  Intestate means dying without a will.

Under intestate succession, the surviving spouse inherits the entire estate.  If you are the surviving spouse, you inherit your daughter's dad's entire estate and your daughter inherits nothing.  If you and your daughter's dad were divorced, if he remarried and has a surviving spouse, she inherits the entire estate.  Your daughter inherits nothing.

Your daughter does not inherit anything from her dad's estate because there is a surviving spouse.

If there had not been a surviving spouse, your daughter and her siblings would inherit her dad's estate and would each receive equal shares.  For example, if there were three children, they would each receive 1/3.  If there is a deceased sibling, who had surviving children, those grandchildren would inherit the share their deceased parent would have inherited had that deceased parent survived.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption