Wht to do about a child custody case and a restraining order that says you cannot leave the state?

UPDATED: Sep 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Wht to do about a child custody case and a restraining order that says you cannot leave the state?

My daughter was living with a guy who is addicted to crystal meth. He abused her and controlled her. She had his baby 3 months ago. They move from place to place because he spends the money on meth (no job). He checked himself into a program last week and she decided that she baby would come back to her home state. She is suppossed to fly out in 2 days but today she was served with papers over child custody and a restraining order that says she cannot leave the state. What do I do? She is 3,000 miles away with no money or anything. I am her dad.

Asked on September 21, 2012 under Family Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to get her an attorney immediatelty to find out who is behind this ridiculous restraining order. She needs to then immediately challenge the restraining her and bring her own against him for her and her child. She needs to then seek to move. She needs an attorney immediately.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption