If mydaughter was killed as a passanger in a car with a drunk driver who died as well, do I have a lawsuit?

UPDATED: Dec 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If mydaughter was killed as a passanger in a car with a drunk driver who died as well, do I have a lawsuit?

If so for what?

Asked on December 17, 2011 under Personal Injury, Colorado


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am sorry for your loss. If your daughter was a passenger in a motor vehicle wherein the drunk driver was killed as well, your daughter's family and the estate may have a lawsuit against the estate of the driver and the insurance company but it would depend on the laws of civil procedure in the state in which the accident happened. Wrongful death suits can be complex but ultimately, if the estate of the deceased driver isn't much and/or the insurance wasn't much, there may not be a worth to sue seeing as how any criminal liability or punishment has been rendered moot by the death of the driver.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption