Was it legal if my daughter was hired by a bakery but later fired due to her weight?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Was it legal if my daughter was hired by a bakery but later fired due to her weight?

After 2 weeks she was told she needed to lose weight and my daughter felt uncomfortable and decided to quit. I called the bakery and the wife of the owner stated she did not want my daughter working there unless she lost weight because it would be bad for business. My daughter was a good worker and doing everything they asked. I think this is dicrimination.

Asked on September 27, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

It may be discrimination as that word is generally used, but that does not make it illegal. Only certain forms of discrimination are actually illegal under the law, such as based on race, religion, age over 40, sex, or disability. However, being overweight is not protected from discrimination, so it is legal for her employer to terminate her on this basis.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption