What to do about unnecessary surgery that was performed on my daughter?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about unnecessary surgery that was performed on my daughter?

My daughter was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis 3 years ago. She did not responds to medicines so surgery was recommended to “cure” her. A total colectomy was done and she has had multiple post-operative complications. The surgery was 1 year ago and she is in chronic pain, same stomach symptoms, and recently diagnosed with Crohns. Surgery is not reccomended for Crohns. Do I have a case?

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Malpractice Law, Georgia


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best answer is it depends on what other experienced medical providers will say about the necessity of the surgery, how the surgery was performed, and then... if either decision was a bad one, whether or not the ill effects your daughter has suffered are a direct result of the their actions.

If other doctors say that the treatment and their performance during surgery were appropriate, then you will have a harder time making a medical malpractice case.  If the doctors say that the treatment was unnecessary, but that the effects that are currently being suffered by your daughter were caused by something else other than their actions, then you will also have a hard time proving a medical malpractice case.

The main thing to show is an action, an injury, and a causation between the action and the injury.  If you can find alternate medical providers to meet these components, then your daughter would have a case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption