What to do if my daughter was arrested last night with a friend for “roof hopping”?

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my daughter was arrested last night with a friend for “roof hopping”?

At 8:00 am this morning both her and the person with her were showing in the jail information. As of 10:00 am her friend was no longer anywhere in the system. This friend is the son of 2 police officers. This is wrong. My daughter should not be the only one being charged simply because “he” is the son of officers. What can we do about this?

Asked on September 20, 2012 under Criminal Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Forget about whether the friend was charged or not: if your daughter committed a crime, she can be charged, even if no one else who committed the crime is charged. While you could potentially file an ethics complaint against these officers with the department, whether or not their son is charged has no bearing on your daughter's own potential criminal liability. You should retain a criminal defense attorney to represent your daughter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption