What can we do if my daughter wants to move in with me?

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can we do if my daughter wants to move in with me?

My daughter turns 16 this month and has lived with her dad for about 9 years. However, now he has met and moved in with a woman he has known for 2 months who tells my daughter she can’t stand her and verbally abuses her calling her names and talking down to her. My daughter wants to move in with me but is afraid of her dad making her life hell. He has taken her phone and won’t let her talk to me or come see me. What can we do?

Asked on January 3, 2013 under Family Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to make the best decision for your daughter with respect to her living arrangements. I suggest that you, the daughter and the father sit down and discuss the situation.

If it is in the daughter's best interests by a vote of 2/3 to reside with you then she should do so for the time being subject to a signed stipulation by you and the father prepared by a family law attorney filed in the county court where all current child custody orders exist.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption