How to enforce a judgement for back child support?

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to enforce a judgement for back child support?

My daughter’s father lives out of state. Paternity, child support, and a judgement for back child support and medical bills was established through the district court in my state. An income assignment was obtained through my lawyer at the time, however he recently quit his job and is no longer paying child support/back child support. How can I enforce this? I would like to go through DHS, however I am not sure whether we are eligible since we do not receive any state services other than Tefra, a supplemental Medicaid secondary insurance for disabled children. I think that program may be federally funded? I live in one stae and he lives in another.

Asked on September 20, 2012 under Family Law, Oklahoma


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you have a valid child support order and arrearages are owed under it by your child's father, I suggest that you contact the district attorney's office in the county and state where the father resides and see if its family support unit would be willing to engage in a sister state collection effort for you.

If not, then your recourse is to consult with a family law attorney in the county and state where the father resides to see what can be done for you and your child on collecting past due child support amounts for you both.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption