If my daughter doesn’t move to be closer to work, can she be fired for this?

UPDATED: Nov 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my daughter doesn’t move to be closer to work, can she be fired for this?

My daughter lives in one state and her boss has asked her to move to a neighboring state to be closer to work. Can she be fired if she doesn’t move?

Asked on November 2, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

As a general rule, an employer has a great deal of discretion in setting the terms and conditions of employment. This includes relocating to be closer to work. If an employee disagrees with this the employee is free to quit. However, if the employee doesn't move, their employer can terminate them (and without notice). This is called "at will" employment. 

As to your daughter's specific situation, does she have an union agreement or employment contract that would prohibit a forced relocation? Does this proposed move violate existing company policy? Is it the result of actionable discrimination? If so, she may have protection; if not I'm afraid that she must either make the move or face possible termination.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption