In order to transfer custody of a child, can a notarized letter be deemed sufficient?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

In order to transfer custody of a child, can a notarized letter be deemed sufficient?

My daughter is 16 and had a son about 5 months ago. The father is a older man who has no contact and nothing to do with the child. She is trying to enter job corp and wants to give me gardianship/custody. We do not have the money for an attorney,

Asked on September 8, 2012 under Family Law, Oregon


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is my understanding that under Oregon law only a court can transfer the guardianship of your grandson on petition from you.  It is possible to do this yourself and with out an attorney.  Since the Father is not in the picture and parentage has not been established your daugther in the baby's only legal guardian.  So go down to the courts and ask the clerk for a sample petition.  There will be an affidavit from you or your daughter  - or both - explaining the reasons for transferring temporary guadianship of the baby and allowing you to make decisions regarding his health and well being.  The petition should be filed and a hearing date set.  Waive the home visit.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption