My daughter has an American father and we are divorced. Can she still be naturalized?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My daughter has an American father and we are divorced. Can she still be naturalized?

Her father has been living in California
for 4 years prior to that in Mexico
since he was born he holds an American
and Mexican passport.

Me and my daughter live in Mexico I am
Mexican and I want her to study junior
high school in Utah.

During this stay is it possible for her
to get naturalized without living with
his father but having him as his

What are the options she has to make
this legally.

Thanks in advance

Asked on June 27, 2018 under Immigration Law, Illinois


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Can you please clarify a few more points.  Was the father born in the US?  Was he born in Mexico to US citizen parents?  Were you married to the father at the time of the child's birth?  How old is the child?  Did the child ever live with the father?  For how long?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption