What can I do if my daughter borrowed $500 last year but has never paid the money back?

UPDATED: Jun 30, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 30, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my daughter borrowed $500 last year but has never paid the money back?

I recently lost my job and need this money. I was in a terrible car accident and was never visited in the hospital, etc. by her and her family. She never replies to any emails sent and ignores my requests.

Asked on June 30, 2015 under Bankruptcy Law, New Jersey


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your daughter in Small Claims Court.  The problem however is that if the loan was not in writing, she could deny its existence and it would be your word against hers.  If there was a witness, who can testify as to the existence of the loan, that will help your case.

If you sue in Small Claims Court and get a judgment against your daughter, you can enforce the judgment with a wage garnishment.

Your damages (the amount of compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) should include the $500 loan plus interest and court costs.  Court costs would include the court filing fee and process server fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption