What to do if my daughter’s biological father keeps filing petitions in family court which is ruining me financially?

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my daughter’s biological father keeps filing petitions in family court which is ruining me financially?

My ex’s goal in life is to prevent me from succeeding. He told me years ago that he will sue every year so I have to pay the same amount of the court order child support to my attorney. After a year in court, 6 months ago he was awarded 2 make up days for visitation. Yes, instead of working with me, he sues. He was told to contact my lawyer to negotiate the days. He hasn’t done that. So now he filed a petition that I failed to oblige to the order. But he hasn’t done his part first to send what days he wants to make up. I’m not using my attorney this time. What should I do or say in court?

Asked on June 29, 2012 under Family Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Many counties in all states in this country have "legal aid" clinics to assist people in your situation. I suggest that you consult with the nearest one in your locality to see if you can get the legal assistance you need at a very low if no cost at all.

In opposing the petition against you, simply state in your response the truth about the situation. Meaning, your "ex" has not submitted days he wants to make up for visitation. I would send him a letter memorializing this fact, make a copy of it and attach this letter to your response that you will need to timely file with the court clerk.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption