If my daughter and 2 of her friends are starting charity, do I need to set up an LLC?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my daughter and 2 of her friends are starting charity, do I need to set up an LLC?

If so, can I still do it as they are minors? They are in high school and want to make tutus and accessories to sell and donate the money.

Asked on October 2, 2014 under Business Law, North Dakota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Kids all over the world are staking a stand on world issues and it should be commended.  There are certain business issues, though, which you recognize.  The fact that you as an adult are willing to be involved is a BIG help for the kids.  But I would speak with an accountant about the best ways for you to do this.  You could have them start a "hobby business" which does not require you filing a profit and loss statement but allows you to take expenses.  There are a lot of options.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption