If my dad’s girlfriend sold his semi after his death but her name was not on the title, is this legal?

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my dad’s girlfriend sold his semi after his death but her name was not on the title, is this legal?

My dad passed away 4 months ago. He had been living with his girlfriend of nearly 10 years when this happened. He was only 48 years old so he did not have a will or life insurance. He was an OTR truck driver and owned his own semi. We (my 2 brothers and I) were going to sell his truck in order to pay off his funeral. Today, we found out that she (the girlfriend) had already sold the truck for an insulting price to pay off her bills. Was she legally able to do this? And, if not, what steps do I need to take now?

Asked on June 29, 2012 under Estate Planning, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Please check whose name the title of the vehicle was in or if there was a transfer on death ype of form on file regarding the vehicle.  His girlfriend would have no legal right to transfer title from what you have said here. You may be able to set aside the transfer but I would check with an attorney in your area as soon as you can.  You are going to need to be appointed as the personal representative of his estate.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption