What are my rights if my dad just passed away and my half sister has informed me that he had no property?

UPDATED: May 15, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 15, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if my dad just passed away and my half sister has informed me that he had no property?

I know that he owned 2 acres, a van, guns tools and household furniture; a lot of stuff. My half-sister is refusing to have services and has told me not to get involved. She says that all dad’s stuff is gone. As I live in another state, am not sure how to get help. I thi k my sister has stolen his stuff and has taken money from his account. What do I do?

Asked on May 15, 2014 under Estate Planning, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that she stole from the estate and from you (since you would be a beneficiary, under the laws of intestate succession, if your father had no will), you could bring a lawsuit against her. Doing so in a situation like you describe--involving an estate in another state--is not simple; you are advised to retain an attorney to help you. If you do not feel that the amount of value/money/property in the estate justifies hiring an attorney, then you may wish to let the issue go.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption