If my dad passed away 2 weeks ago and my brother will not let me see his Will, how do I check it out?

UPDATED: Dec 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my dad passed away 2 weeks ago and my brother will not let me see his Will, how do I check it out?

The original Will had he and I equal on everything. I was the executor then I find out everything was changed.

Asked on December 6, 2011 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have a copy of the prior Will where you were the executor and your brother will not let you see the supposed subsequent Will, I would submit the Will that you have in hand to a probate. This will force your brother most likely to submit the subsequent Will to probate.

Probate is a public proceeding and as such, the entire probate file is subject to public review. By doing the above suggestion you will get a copy of the subsequent Will if your brother will not voluntarily give you a copy of it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption