If my dad got nothing when his mother past away and his sister was in charge of everything, how can he find out if he was entitled to anything?

UPDATED: Nov 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my dad got nothing when his mother past away and his sister was in charge of everything, how can he find out if he was entitled to anything?

He did not ask any questions nor did he see a Will. His mother very much told him she had put aside money for him, equally between him and his sister. She took care of their mother and when she past she stopped speaking to him. I am wondering if there is any way to figure out if he was still entitled to anything at the time of her death. He also gave his mother money from the sale of his house to put away for his retirement.

Asked on November 28, 2011 under Estate Planning, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your grandmother passed away and her Will was probated or their was an intestacy proceeding as to her estate, there would be a public record of the filing presumably down at the county courthouse in the county where she lived when she passed away. I suggest that you may want to go down to the clerk's office and see if there was an probate or intestacy proceeding concerning her estate.

If she had a home at the time she passed or some other real property, you could go down to the county assessor's office and pull up records to see if title to the real property has been transferred out of her name. If so, there would be a deed signed by someone which could shed light on the questions you are asking.

The best way to answer your questions is simply sit down with your aunt and ask her the questions you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption