If my dad died a year ago, how do we transfer his assets to his heirs?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my dad died a year ago, how do we transfer his assets to his heirs?

He had no Will and was unmarried. He owned 2 houses in another state and a truck. There is 6 of us kids. How do I transfer these to our names? We all agree to share.

Asked on November 29, 2015 under Estate Planning, Idaho


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You will need to check in the state in which he lived to see if the assets he has fall under the amount to file probate. If no probate is required, then you need a death certificate to go and transfer the deeds and titles. Deeds would go through the registry of deeds and the title to the vehicle would go through the department of motor vehicles. If you are agreeing to share, you would need to decide if you are jointly owning the homes with rights of survivorship or as tenants in common. Joint with rights of survivorship would mean the house title would go to the survivors.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption