If my current employer offered me a $2.25 an hour raise to not accept another job offer but he then only gave me $1.25, what are my rights?

UPDATED: Jun 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my current employer offered me a $2.25 an hour raise to not accept another job offer but he then only gave me $1.25, what are my rights?

My current employer offered me a $2.25 an hour raise (in writing) to not accept another job offer. Now that I’ve turned down the other job he only gave me a $1.25 raise. Also, he had been paying me monthly profit sharing for four months he decided that since he gave me a raise he was going to pay me any more profit sharing. Is there anywhere in Missouri that I can file a complaint against him?

Asked on June 27, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the theory of promissory estoppel, if person A represents (promises) something to person B, knowing that person B would have to due something to his/her detriment (like give up another job opportunity) to act on that promise; it is reasonable for person B to rely on the promise (so there's no reason to think it's not good); and person B does in fact rely, to his/her detriment on the promise. then person A may be estopped (or prevented) from disclaiming (or not honoring) the promise. If your employer promised you a certain raise to take another job and you gave up that other job because of the raise, you may have grounds to sue your employer to force the employer to honor the promise. You would have to sue to enforce it--that's the only mechanism.

As to profit sharing: unless there was either a contract or grounds for promissory estoppel (as above), the employer could discontinue it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption