What are my options if my co-workers make fun of my accent my English?

UPDATED: Apr 25, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 25, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my options if my co-workers make fun of my accent my English?

Is this considered as harassment?

Asked on April 25, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If your accent is due to your national origin (outside the U.S.) or due to a disability/medical condition, this would be illegal discrimination: the law forbids discriminating against or harassing employees due to either national origin or disability. You could contact the federal EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) to file a complaint and may be entitled to monetary compensation.
If they are making fun of a regional U.S. accent (e.g. say you have a Boston or Chicago accent, which sounds funny to Texan ears), however, there is nothing you can do: the law does not protect on the basis of regional accents.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption