My cousin passed in Calif….I need to know what steps to take to take care of his bills. etc?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My cousin passed in Calif….I need to know what steps to take to take care of his bills. etc?

He put me on his medical so i talked with Dr’s etc at hospital….he was there for a few days and passed on Sunday. I need to know what to do about his estate which should be less than 50,000. He did not own a home or car.. Had a savings acct …but no will that we can find….hospital told me they were helping with one but they cannot find it….Help? Do not know what to do….I live in Tn….thank you.

Asked on February 14, 2018 under Estate Planning, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss. I do not know where in the state you are located but I am going to give you a link for the Circuit Court in Nashville and their forms for a small estate.  The forms should be the same state wide.  Once you are appointed as the Personal Representative you will have the power to marshall (gather) assets and pay bills.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption