If i rented out my unit to a tenant that has a cat because I was unaware of a no pet rule in my condo complex, can the tenant sue me?

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If i rented out my unit to a tenant that has a cat because I was unaware of a no pet rule in my condo complex, can the tenant sue me?

My condo has a no pet rule i was unaware of. I rented out my unit to a cat owner. Now the condo board wishes to enforce the no pet rule. I have a lease with the tenant specifically allowing pets. Are there any other remedies for my situation?

Asked on September 3, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you rented out your unit that you own to your tenant where you allowed pets (cat) and your association has a rule prohibiting pets that you were not aware of, you need to immediately advise your tenant of the mistake you made and see what can be done about it between you and the tenant.

Potentially your tenant can have a friend house his or her cat for the duration of the lease, or you can allow the tenant to end the lease with no recourse for its balance due to your mistake.

Another option is to see if the association will allow an exception to the rule forbidding pets for the duration of your lease with your tenant.

The key is to be upfront with your tenant about your mistake and make great efforts to try and resolve the problem.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption