What to do if my company gives a year-end profit share check every year but won’t give me mine?

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my company gives a year-end profit share check every year but won’t give me mine?

Usually the check comes out at the end of this month and is on the last paycheck which this year would be the 28th. My last day is the 22nd and my last paycheck would be the one with the profit sharing check on it on the 28th. My company is now telling me that I will not get this check due to the fact I won’t be employeed on the 28th. Doesn’t seem right to me. I worked all of last year so I feel that I am entitled to that check. Am I right?

Asked on February 20, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If the profit sharing was based upon the profit made by the company for the fiscal year 2012 January through December then yes, I do indeed think that you are entitled to it.  Just because you are not employed when it is disbursed does not mean that you may not be entitled to it.  Is there an agreement?  I would take it to an attorney to review.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption