What are my rights regarding an unintended billing to my credit card?

UPDATED: Nov 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 28, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights regarding an unintended billing to my credit card?

My children were enrolled in a weekly karate class and we were billed monthly via credit card. Apparently there was a policy that we needed to request in writing to cease billing when we leave the class. We left the class but neglected to do this. Due to an oversight on my part, I neglected to notice the charges for 10 months; it came to $1000. When I contacted the owner and he said that they were unable to refund the money but we can use the credits in classes. There are no classes near our home and we would prefer to get our $1000 back and be done with it. What recourse do we have?

Asked on November 28, 2012 under General Practice, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you write the owner of the company that improperly billed you for the classes that were not taken to refund you the money owed by a certain date. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need.

If the due date for payment comes and goes then your legal recourse seems to be small claims court. You should also contact your credit card company and contest the charges as well.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption