What to do if my DL and checks were stolen by someone who is using my checks and the same store keeps cashing them?

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my DL and checks were stolen by someone who is using my checks and the same store keeps cashing them?

A check was written to he store ( a major discount chain) on the 5th. I notified it that someone is writing checks and gave them my information and what to look for on the checks and DL. Yet again it accepted a check on the 10th. Do I have any recourse?

Asked on January 13, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you immediately call, write your bank and have a face to face meeting with the bank's manager about the theft and have a stop placed on this particular checking account.

You then need to contact law enforcement in that the discount chain store probably has film of the person who is using your checks improperly for purchases.

From what you have written, it does not seem that you have any legal recourse against the store that cashed your stolen check.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption