If my car was towed by the guy who sold it to me, am I obligated to pay the rest of what I owe?

UPDATED: Apr 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my car was towed by the guy who sold it to me, am I obligated to pay the rest of what I owe?

I was sold a car with a leaky oil pan and the engine blew up. Shortly afterwards, I missed 1 payment and he towed my car with all of my possessions still in the vehicle. I was not notified. My last payment stub said I owe $664.50. I do not have a copy of the contract.

Asked on April 3, 2012 under Business Law, South Dakota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you had a contract with the seller of the car that you purchased where it ended up being towed by the seller and you owed one last payment of $664.50, you are contractually obligated to pay this $664.50 amount to the seller based upon the fact pattern that you have written concerning this question.

It seems that you had the car for a while and its problems arose well after you bought it from the seller.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption