What can I do if my car was not voluntarily repossessed?

UPDATED: Nov 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my car was not voluntarily repossessed?

My car was recently repoed; the reposseion company said to me it was a voluntary repossession.
They showed me documentation saying it was but I never told the company I wanted the car for repossessed. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on November 9, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A voluntary repossession is when a person who owes on a loan cannot make the payments and turns in the vehicle to the lender. An involuntary repossession is when a person who owes money on a car loan cannot make the payments and a repossession company takes the car.

If you want your car back and can make up the payments owed, then do so and get the car back. Otherwise, I do not see the car being given back to you if you owe money on it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption