What to do if my car was repossessed and the repo man is trying to charge us to get my boyfriend’s stuff back?

UPDATED: May 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my car was repossessed and the repo man is trying to charge us to get my boyfriend’s stuff back?

About 95% of the items in my car that was repossessed belongs to my boyfriend. The repo man is trying to charge us a fee to get the stuff out of my car. From everyone I’ve talked to, including an officer, it’s Illigal for him to do that. However, no matter what I say the guy is insistant that there is a law that states that it is legal for him to charge us to get the items back. Is that true?

Asked on May 15, 2012 under General Practice, New Hampshire


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You are correct that it is illegal for the person who repossessed your car to charge you to get your personal items back. One option is to pay the person the fee by check with a receipt for the items that you want back and then cancel payment on the check as a validly contested dispute. At least you get your belongings back sooner rather than later.

Another option is to make a complaint to the lender that you have concerning the loan about the improper conduct of the repossession company and make a complaint against it with your state's attorney general's office.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption