If my car was parked when someone hit it and totaled it but I don’t have insurance, what can I do?

UPDATED: Jun 18, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my car was parked when someone hit it and totaled it but I don’t have insurance, what can I do?

Asked on June 18, 2015 under Accident Law, Rhode Island


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If the driver who hit your car is identified, you can file a property damage claim with the at-fault party's insurance company.  If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the at-fault party's insurance carrier, reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit for negligence against the at-fault party.

If the at-fault driver is unknown, unless the police arrest and/or identify the person, unfortunately without insurance you won't recover any compensation.  If you had had auto insurance with uninsured motorist coverage, you could have filed an uninsured motorist claim through your company even if the hit and run driver was unknown, and you would have received compensation for the property damage to your car.

If this was a hit and run and the at-fault party is unknown, if apprehended by the police and the individual does not have insurance, your recourse would be to sue the at-fault party for negligence.  After you get a court judgment against the individual, you can enforce the judgment with a wage garnishment.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption