What to do about an accident if I didn’t get that at-fault party’s insurance info?

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about an accident if I didn’t get that at-fault party’s insurance info?

My car was hit about 2 months ago by an acquaintance. Trying to be nice I let him decide whether he wanted to go through insurance or pay out of pocket. Now he wants him and his buddy to take care of the damages themselves which does not fly with me; there is too much damage and the repair needs to be done professionally. What can I do from here? I do not have his insurance info yet and do not think he will give it to me if I ask. Is there any action I can take from there? I do have contact info for him and an eye witness to the accident.

Asked on November 11, 2011 under Accident Law, Washington


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there was a police report of the accident, the police report should list the insurance information of all parties to the accident   If the at-fault driver is not the registered owner of the vehicle, the registered owner should be listed on the police report. You can obtain the police report from the police department.

If the other driver/registered owner did not have insurance, you can file an uninsured motorist claim with your insurance company if you have uninsured motorist coverage on your policy.  If you don't have uninsured motorist coverage and the at-fault party does not have insurance, you will need to file a lawsuit for negligence against the at-fault party.

If the at-fault party has insurance, but refuses to provide that information, you will need to file a lawsuit or threaten to file a lawsuit for negligence if the insurance information isn't immediately provided.  You can proceed with your lawsuit if the other party refuses to provide the insurance information.  Your damages would be the cost of repairs to your vehicle.  Your vehicle needs to be professionally repaired and not repaired by the at-fault party and his friend.

Your damages (the amount of compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit for negligence) for the property damage to your car would be the cost of repairs.  You will need to mitigate (minimize) damages by selecting an auto repair shop whose fees are comparable to other auto repair shops in the area.  If you were to select the most expensive auto repair shop you could find, your damages would be reduced accordingly.  Your damages should also include the cost of a rental car while your car is being repaired.  You will need to mitigate damages by selecting a rental car with reasonable rates.  If you were to select a very expensive rental car, your damages would be reduced accordingly.  If you do obtain insurance information from the at-fault party, the insurance company usually has a maximum daily rate for rental car reimbursement.  Also, the insurance company won't pay for the collision damage waiver charged by rental car companies.  If you have adequate insurance, you won't need the collision damage waiver.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption