What to do if my car was damaged by a tow truck company and nowit will not pay for the damage?

UPDATED: Nov 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 30, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my car was damaged by a tow truck company and nowit will not pay for the damage?

Asked on November 30, 2011 under Accident Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If they damaged your car either deliberately or negligently (i.e. through being careless), you can sue them for compensation, such as for the cost of repair. You might wish to consider suing in small claims court and acting as your own attorney, to reduce costs. (Also, cases tend to resolve faster in small claims court.) You'd need to be able to prove (including by testimony of credible witnesses) that they caused the damage.

The only major limitation on your ability to sue for this would be if you signed any work order, agreement, etc. which contained some limitation on their liability--double check any paperwork you signed in relation to the towing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption