If my car was at a dealership and the service department got flooded, shouldn’t the dealer be responsible for damages to it?

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my car was at a dealership and the service department got flooded, shouldn’t the dealer be responsible for damages to it?

Asked on September 17, 2011 under General Practice, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it should indeed.  You left your car to be repaired, correct?  It was turned over and entrusted to the dealership.  It is considered what is known under the law as a "bailment" which is a delivery of some personalty based upon contract between you and the other party and with a purpose and intent to return the personalty as agreed to in the contract.  Here you gave actual possession to the dealership and it was their responsibility to keep the item safe and in good condition.  You may want to call your own insurance company too to report the matter.  You may be able to make a claim on your insurance and then will sue the dealership on your behalf (called subrogation).  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption