What to do if my car has been vandalized and my car insurer doesn’t want to pay for the reparation?

UPDATED: May 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my car has been vandalized and my car insurer doesn’t want to pay for the reparation?

My car has been vandalised and my car insurance doesn’t want to pay for the reparation. They are only giving me $2,700 when the quote from the car repair shop is for $4,900. I pay extra on my policy to insure my classic car for up $18,000 and now they are telling me that no matter where I take it, for example a shop they refer me to, they will not pay more than 2,700 because it is an old car. When I signed up for this insurance I asked them if they insured classic cars and they told me yes and told me I can pay extra so if anything happens it would be covered for up to $18,000.

Asked on May 10, 2012 under Insurance Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to fight back hard and pour through your policy to ensure you indeed have full coverage and the insurance is supposed to pay. If it continues to disallow full payment, then you have a potential claim against the insurance company for bad faith coverage. In this situation, you need to file a formal complaint with the Department of Insurance in California and complain about bad faith coverage. If this route doesn't work, then you need to consider hiring an attorney. You need to make sure, however, that your car is indeed registered as a classic car.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption