What to do if my business was hired to complete tree work but now the homeowner is refusing to pay the bill ?

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my business was hired to complete tree work but now the homeowner is refusing to pay the bill ?

The homeowner is claiming we caused damages to the property. What are our rights in collecting the amount owed to us?

Asked on November 12, 2014 under Business Law, Nebraska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the homeowner for breach of contract (not honoring their obligation to pay the amount they agreed to pay). You would look in court to prove the existence and terms of the agreement or contract and that you completed it as per the terms of the agreement. They in turn could interpose a counterclaim or set-off for the damage they claim you did, and if they could prove that you caused a certain amount of damage, that amount would be offset vs. the amount they owed you--but they'd have to prove the existence of the damage and that you business caused it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption