What rights do I have to get back my personal property from my former business partner?

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What rights do I have to get back my personal property from my former business partner?

My business partner and I have decided to no longer be in business. The business is located in my partner’s home and she has changed the locks to our office without notifying me. I purchased an embroidery machine, computers and a printer from my personal bank account. She refuses to communicate with me or return my property. I have since filed for dissolution of the business. We have no written agreement.

Asked on August 24, 2011 Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have filed for the dissolution of your business was the filing a court action or a filing with the Secretary of State's office in Washing to dissolve either a corporation or a limited liability company?

If you have not filed a legal action against your former business partner seeking a dissolution of your venture and for an accounting, you will need to do so in that such a proceeding seems to be the only way you are going to get back your personal property from her as well as a complete resolution of any all all disputes that there appears to be.

Such a proceeding can be somewhat expensive both in time, attorney's fees and emotional outlay.

Given the circumstances that you have written about, I suggest that you consult with a business attorney regarding the best course on how to resolve the problems you are having with your former business partner. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption