What to do if my building is forcing me to pay $375 for a scratch in the elevator that I did not do?

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my building is forcing me to pay $375 for a scratch in the elevator that I did not do?

We sold our apartment upstairs and began renting one a few floors down so we rented the elevator to move our things and had to leave a deposit. After that day they claimed we scratched the wall but we didn’t and the scratch has been there for weeks or months prior. The walls on every floor have the same scratches. I refused to pay it and blocked my deposit cheque. Ever since they have been harassing me about noise complaints and countless other things that are not true and now threatening to evict us. We have lived in the building for 12 years and have never had a problem. What can I do?

Asked on March 9, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

1) You can continue to refuse to pay, and if the landlord tries to evict you, if it is not for proper grounds for eviction (e.g. nonpayment or habitual late payment of rent; violation of material, or important, terms of the lease; deliberate or grossly negligent damage to landlord property; etc.), you could certainly fight the eviction, offering evidence or testimony during the eviction proceeding to counter the landlord's claims. Remember: you can only be evicted for certain reasons, and the landlord must prove them by a preponderance of the evidence (that is, that they are more likely than not to have happened).

2) You could potentially proactively bring a legal action for a "declaratory judgment," in which a court would find that you did not cause the damage and/or owe the money; this is not likely to be cost effective.

From what you write, the landlord is seeking $375. You may wish to consider whether it may make more sense to pay, rather than get involed in litigation with your landlord.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption