If my brother moved in with my elderly mother who lives in and on my property and has been there for a couple years, how I can get him out?

UPDATED: Jun 27, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 27, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my brother moved in with my elderly mother who lives in and on my property and has been there for a couple years, how I can get him out?

He pays no rent and has been there without consent.

Asked on June 27, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Since he pays no rent (and presumably no form of rent such as buying groceries, paying for utilities, etc), he is not legally a tenant. However, in most states he will be cobnsidered to be a "licensee"; that is someone who was allowed to enter the premises annd then stayed on. In any event, the process for removing him from the property is the same as if he was a tenant. Accordingly, you will need to follow legal procedures for an�eviction.�In this case probably a 10 day�"Notice to Quit"�must be given (it varies from state-to-state). If he fails to leave by the date specified in the notice, then you will need to file for an "Unlawful Detainer" action�(i.e. eviction lawsuit). If successful, the court will�issue you a "Writ of Possession". With this in hand, your brother�will then either have to vacate your home or, if he refuses to leave,�you can have the sheriff remove physically remove him.�

In the meantime don't be tempted to take any "self-help" measures such as changing the locks, removing�his belongings, etc.�If you do, he could sue you for unlawful eviction. At this point, it would be advisable for you to consult directly with an attorney who specializes in landlord-tenant cases; they can best advise on the specific procedures required under state law.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption