If my brother is in jail for DWI fines and I bail him out, can collectors come after me for his other debts?

UPDATED: Dec 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my brother is in jail for DWI fines and I bail him out, can collectors come after me for his other debts?

My brother’s debts could be in excess of $100,000, including hospital bills, student loans and a house he walked away from. He is currently in jail for the DWI fines only. I have never co-signed or had any other joint arrangement with him on anything.

Asked on December 13, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you bail out your brother for fines associated with a conviction arising from driving under the influence of alcohol and or a controlled substance, you would be only obligated for the bail bond associated with the criminal conviction that you are writing about and not the other obligations that he has not related to the unpaid fines that have placed him in jail.

Before you bail out your brother, I would make sure that you get a written agreement signed by him where he would repay you all moneys that you will incur for obtaining a bail bond to get him released from jail.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption