What can happen to someone who has been arrested for aggravated assault?

UPDATED: Jul 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can happen to someone who has been arrested for aggravated assault?

My brother has been charged with aggravated assault. He has no prior arrests. He is 25 years old and about 6’2 225 lbs. He met a girl at a bar and was going back to her place around 3 am. Another man followed them out of the bar and tried to sell them drugs. My brother told him to leave them alone. The man became angry and pushed my brother. My brother hit him in the face knocking him unconscious and kicked him in the head several times while he was on the ground. The police saw my brother kicking the man and arrested him. He is now charged with aggravated assault. What could the penalty be.

Asked on July 25, 2011 New Jersey


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It appears by what you have indicated that this was a case of self defense and the police (as is common) acted based on what they witnessed. At this point, your brother has at least one witness (the girl). So, he needs to immediately get a criminal defense attorney and see who else can help (politicians in an election year can be helpful) and show and prove that he was acting in self defense when this person approached him for the purpose of selling him drugs and then assaulted him first for refusing the sale. So, at this point, think about other forms of evidence. You have one eye witness. If this drug dealer has a record, that can be used to impeach his own testimony. Also, did surrounding businesses or the business from where he exited have any video capturing this activity? Talk to the criminal defense counsel -- a private counsel is better than the public defender merely becaue of docket load and bring up these ideas.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption