What to do if my brother died with an education loan and now they’re suing me?

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my brother died with an education loan and now they’re suing me?

My brother had a student loan with Sallie Mae. He died last year and I informed this company and sent the death certificate. He had no estate though I did have to get a short certificate in court so I could cash his last paycheck, equaling around $500 and his federal return that we put in my name about $800. Now I get a claim from them against me wanting their money. Can they do this?

Asked on July 6, 2012 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


Brad Micklin / The Micklin Law Group

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

They have no basis for a lawsuit against you. They may be suing the estate and serving you the papers because you represent the estate.

You'll need to file an order to show cause to have the estate declared insolvent. This is an application where the court declares that there are no funds to pay any debts and enters a court order accordingly. That will stop the lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption