What to do if my boyfriend’s wife wants to put a morality clause in their divorce agreement?

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my boyfriend’s wife wants to put a morality clause in their divorce agreement?

Everything we do is on the up and up and are always looking out for the kids. We have been dating for a year dealing with her drama drinking, outbursts, mental instability and using kids as pawns. I live in another state so a clause just doesn’t make sense and he and I want me to be a part of the kid’s lives. We want them to see 2 people who love each other and them and that life is normal not up and down crazy. Can he fight the clause?

Asked on September 20, 2012 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country any marital settlement agreement must be entered into by the parties freely and voluntarily. If your boyfriend does not want the "morality clause" in the dissolution agreement, he does not have to agree to it.

Futhermore, most likely under the laws of your state, such a clause even if agreed to is unenforceable and invalid in violation of public policy. I suggest that your boyfriend consult with a family law attorney to assist him in the matter you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption