What happens if I ignore a subpoena?

UPDATED: May 2, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 2, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if I ignore a subpoena?

My boyfriend let another person drive his vehicle to the gas station. I guess while pulling out of the parking space they hit a vehicle coming into the parking lot. I just got a subpoena in the as a witness to the case but I have no information regarding the case. would a warrant be put out on me if I do not show up to court on that date?

Asked on May 2, 2013 under Accident Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

A subpeona is a judicial order to appear in court. Violating such an order could result in your being charged with contempt of court and jailed. Of course, depending on the type of case and judge ths may or may not happen. However, instead of risking the consequences, you really should get yourself to the trial on your appointed date.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption