If my boyfriend is being foreclosed upon by the HOA and they served me with papers as well, am Ialso responsible?

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my boyfriend is being foreclosed upon by the HOA and they served me with papers as well, am Ialso responsible?

My name is not on any of the paperwork for the home although I do live here. It was a home bought by he and his ex-wife.

Asked on August 5, 2011 Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your boyfriend is on title to the home you are living in and you are not on its legal title, you would have no obligation to or liability for claims of the homeowner's association with what I presume are unpaid monthly association dues.

Under most "covenants, conditions and restrictions" recorded upon homes in a planned unit development where there is a homeowner's association, the homeowner is obligated for the monthly association fees as well as other assessments.

You are not the homeowner of record for the home that is subject to claims by the homeowner's association where papers concerning a dispute were recently served upon you and your boyfriend. You would not be responsible for unpaid dues or assessments concerning the home you are living in that you do not own.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption