What to do if my boyfriend has been living with me for about 9 months but now I wan him out?

UPDATED: Nov 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 28, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my boyfriend has been living with me for about 9 months but now I wan him out?

I rent a unit in a duplex. He is not on the lease but receives mail at the residence. I want him out; he doesn’t pay for anything. How do I go about kicking him out? Does he have a legal right live there because he has established residency? Do I have to give him an eviction notice? Or can I just tell him to leave and change the locks? I’ve asked my landlord of she could evict him but she doesn’t want to be involved. How do I go about kicking him out without it backfiring on me?

Asked on November 28, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In essence yo are your boyfriend's landlord. If you want him out of the unit, you need to serve him with a thirty (30) day termination of his lease notice. If he does not move out in the thirty (30) day time period you will need to file an unlawful detainer action for him to vacate. If matters come to that point you should consult with a landlord tenant attorney for assistance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption