What can be done if my boyfriend has been in the US illegally since he was 6 and he is now 19?

UPDATED: Jan 23, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 23, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done if my boyfriend has been in the US illegally since he was 6 and he is now 19?

His mom, stepdad and little brother are all legal here but he is not. We have been together for 3 years now and plan on getting married and starting a family. He has graduated from high school. What can we do to make him legal here?

Asked on January 23, 2014 under Immigration Law, California


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

if no petition had ever been filed on his behalf by anyone (or on behalf of his parents by an employer or a qualifying relative) under the current immigration laws ,he is not eligible to legalize his status within the US.  however, he may be eligible to receive employment authorization under DACA that was passed about 1.5 years ago.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption