My boyfriend got in trouble for stolen checks. His friend had implicated me. Do I need an attorney when talking to the police or is it ok to go alone

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My boyfriend got in trouble for stolen checks. His friend had implicated me. Do I need an attorney when talking to the police or is it ok to go alone

The friend had been the one instigating him to “get money, get money”. He told them i knew about all of it and I did not. I saw some checks being given from one person to another, but how do I know theyare stolen. Then he is saying that I know about stolen cars too. I had my suspicion that one was, but my boyfriend denied that it was. I live at home with my mom yet, and so i was not always around the two of them to know whlat they are doing. When my boyfriend lived somewhere else, things were good. It is the friends influence, pus my boyfirend does have OCD compulsions.

Asked on June 13, 2009 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

This is a criminal matter - do not speak to the police alone.  Whether or not you are innocent you could say something to inadvertently incriminate yourself.  Get legal representation and say nothing to the police until you do.  Chances are this can all be straightened out now but a lawyer will be the best one to do it for you.

There will be some cost involved but much more so down the line if you are facing charges.  Don't put yourself in a position in 6 months or a year from now where you'll think,  "Gee, I really should have had an attorney instead of going it alone".  At that point it will be too late.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption